The implementation of rehabilitation and fortifying activities for the Old Elm in Sliven is a second stage of a comprehensive health status improvement project for the tree that was declared European Tree of the Year in 2014.
After the expert evaluation of the health status of the Old Elm, the necessary rehabilitation measures were determined and applied, as follows:
- Vaccination against tracheomycosis;
- Strengthening the branches with “cobra” ropes;
- Putting an artificial bark;
- Mineral fertilization with nitrogen fertilizer;
- Cut some of the branches and reduce the volume of the crown;
- Installing dendrometers.
The activities were carried out in compliance with the Contract of 10.05.2015 for implementation of the necessary rehabilitation and fortifying activities and measure for the Old Elm in Sliven.